Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Can Introverts Be Good Youth Ministers?

Throughout my life I have bounced back and forth between introvert and extrovert on the Myers-Briggs personality scale. (You can take a sample online test here.)

Just two years ago I tested as an extrovert, and just the other night on Facebook I tested as an introvert, so who knows? The distinction is all about where you gain energy--introverts gain energy and replenishment primarily from being alone, whereas extroverts gain it primarily from being with other people.

A couple years ago I read a great article about introverts and youth ministry. I have never thought I fit the stereotype of the loud, funny, center-of-attention youth worker who is always telling hilarious stories and having the kids hang on their every word. Not that there's inherently anything wrong with that (it takes all types), but it's definitely not me.

But youth ministry is about building relationships. In youth ministry one of the things that matters most is building relationships with youth, spending face-to-face time with them in their worlds.

Do the introverts among us stand a chance? If, no matter how long we have been in youth ministry, the thought of introducing ourselves and reaching out to teenagers we don't know remains scary or unnerving, is there any hope for us?

Read this thought-provoking article here to find out.

4 comments:

  1. This is a good reminder that the qualifications for being a youth minister are loving youth and desiring them to know Jesus rather than an outgoing personality, which is good for me because if the later were the case, I wouldn't qualify!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am ebtter at small group settigns than large group. The time at the beginning fo Youth Alpha, where everyone si yellign oevr everyone else? Just does not work for me. But the author would say that's OK! Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was a non-spellcheck moment just now! Sorry --

    ReplyDelete